I went to the Fox and Hounds in Hunsdon which is a little village in Hertfordshire just north of Harlow. I didn’t expect much but was pleasantly surprised to find that it is a gastropub serving excellent steaks and seafood.
The atmosphere was warm and welcoming, a quaint village pub with a good sized car park at the rear.
Starters all seemed appetising and included
- burrata (creamy mozzarella), tomato and rocket
- smoked mackerel, beetroot, watercress and horseradish
- lobster linguine with chilli, garlic and parsley
- black pudding, mushroom and fried duck egg
- melon and ham
- veal, rabbit and bacon terrine, chutney, pickles and toast
I chose the delicious crab tacos with mango salsa, guacamole and sriracha chilli sauce
- Skate with spinach and brown shrimps
- Wild sea bass with pepperonata, borlotti beans and rocket
- Rabbit leg confit
- Scotch black Angus cote de boeuf
I chose half a lobster with garlic and herb butter and chips
Some of my fellow diners had the steak
Everybody enjoyed their meals. The only difficulty was that one of our group is vegetarian and the vegetarian options were quite limited, but the chef very obligingly provided a vegetarian pasta dish.
The lobster was fresh, good quality and seasoned beautifully, the steak was delicious, well rested, and succulent.
For dessert I chose the chocolate and hazelnut torte which was like a chocolate brownie with whole nuts in it. The texture was a little dry on the outside but gooey in the middle and there were probably too many nuts in it. I would have preferred a chocolate orange version.
Some of my friends chose the strawberry sundae which by all reports was delicious
I loved the meal – the atmosphere was great and the food was top notch. The pub also has a comprehensive wine and beer menu. A great place which will see me returning very soon.